Sunday , 28 February 2021
Home / Business Loans and Funds / TNB’s Jimah project on track for completion

TNB’s Jimah project on track for completion

Monday, 27 March 2017

KUALA LUMPUR: The construction of the RM12 billion Jimah East Power (JEP) plant in Jimah, Port Dickson is on track and is expected to be completed as scheduled by December 2019. In a statement, Tenaga Nasional Bhd (TNB) said more than 40% of the greenfield project, also known as Project 3B, was completed since its first concrete pouring in July 2016.

TNB owns 70% of the project through the acquisition of Edra Global Energy Bhd’s stake in JEP from 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) in July 2015. The remaining 30% stake in JEP is equally owned by TNBs strategic partner, Japanese conglomerate Mitsui and Co Ltd and one of the Japanese biggest regional power utilities, Chugoku Electric Power.

2 coal-fired units with 1,000 MW capacity each are being constructed at the site, which is strategically located and is crucial to the security of power supply in Peninsular Malaysia. The units will add 2,000 MW of generation capacity and will eventually increase Malaysia’s generation capacity from the current 22,748 MW to 26,940 MW by the end of 2020. The JEP project will expand TNB’s operational portfolio of high-value generation assets from 2 to 4 ultra-supercritical coal plants.

The other 2 plants are 1,000 MW Manjung 4 and 1,000 MW Manjung 5. These efficient plants are part of TNB’s efforts to reduce fuel expenditure in times of rising cost. The addition of JEP will further strengthen TNB’s domestic and international generation capacity, as well as operational track record.

Source by: Internet

Leave a Reply

WooCommerce Themes Free