Tuesday , 26 January 2021
Home / World / Rodrigo Duterte scraps peace talks with communists

Rodrigo Duterte scraps peace talks with communists

Monday, 6 February 2017

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Saturday evening his government is pulling out of peace talks with the country’s communist movement, a day after he lifted the government’s unilateral ceasefire with the insurgents.

“Peace talks will remain cancelled unless there is a compelling reason that will benefit the interest of the nation,” Duterte said a day after he lifted the government’s unilateral ceasefire with the New People’s Army, the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines.

He would also direct go­vernment negotiators, who had been engaged in talks with communists in Rome, to come home.

On several occasions, Duterte had insisted that he would not give in to the demand of the communist rebels to free all political prisoners.

Source by: Internet

Check Also

Communist insurgency urged Rodrigo Duterte to renew talks

Saturday, 11 February 2017 Manila: The leader of the Philippines’ communist insurgency has called on …

Shinzo Abe to propose new Cabinet-level talks with United States

Friday, 10 February 2017 TOKYO: Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will propose new Cabinet-level US-Japan …

Leave a Reply

WooCommerce Themes Free