Saturday, 25 February 2017
SYDNEY: A 10-year-old boy has survived a bite from one of the world’s deadliest spiders after taking a record 12 vials of anti-venom.
Matthew Mitchell was helping his father clear out the back shed at their home north of Sydney when he was bitten on the finger by a funnel-web spider that had been lurking in his shoe.
His family used his shirt as a compression bandage to try and slow the venom’s spread and rushed him to hospital.
He experienced convulsions but survived after being given 12 vials of anti-venom, which local media said was an Australian record.
The funnel-web spider is among the world’s deadliest spiders. Its venom attacks the nervous system, causing foaming at the mouth, muscle spasms and potentially death.
The spider was caught and taken to the Australian Reptile Park where it will be milked as part of a programme to develop anti-venom.
The 10-year-old was “as lucky as they get”, park general manager Tim Faulkner told.
Australia is home to a startling number of the world’s deadliest creatures, including snakes, spiders, jellyfish and octopuses.
The funnel-web spider is particularly feared but no deaths have been recorded since an anti-venom was developed in the 1980s.
Source by: Internet