Monday, 6 March 2017
MANILA: One person was killed and 41 injured when a powerful aftershock hit a southern Philippine city still recovering from a quake last month, authorities said.
According to government seismologists and civil defence officers, the 5.9-magnitude quake struck the southern city of Surigao and surrounding areas yesterday, causing 2 houses and several walls to collapse.
A 65-year-old woman died of a heart attack while 41 people were treated for injuries mostly caused by falling objects, civil defence officials said. The quake also knocked out power for several hours in the city of 152,000 people.
It was just one of over a hundred aftershocks to hit Surigao City on Mindanao island since a 6.5-magnitude quake on 10 February that left 8 dead and over 250 injured.
Its epicentre was outside Surigao City in the same area as the epicentre of last month’s quake, the government seismology office said. The last lethal one to hit the country was a 7.1-magnitude temblor that left over 220 people dead and destroyed historic churches in October 2013.
Source by: Internet