Wednesday, 27 September 2017 : The 21-year-old Frenchman, who won the GP2 series last year, will replace Daniil Kvyat “for the next Grands Prix”, Toro Rosso said in a statement.
“He is being given a chance to prove himself in F1,” the team added.
“This is a great opportunity for me,” said Gasly, who is reserve and test driver for Red Bull, Toro Rosso’s sister team.
“I feel as ready as I can be, having had to be prepared for anything in my role as Red Bull Racing’s third driver this year.
“I will do my best to perform well with Toro Rosso during these coming races.”
Kvyat has struggled to impress so far this season, scoring just four points from 14 races.
The Russian has raced for Toro Rosso since the fifth race of last season after he was demoted from Red Bull following a calamitous Russian Grand Prix in which he crashed into Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel twice within two corners.
Toro Rosso team principal Franz Tost said: “For a variety of reasons, some of them due to technical problems, but others being mistakes of his own making, Daniil Kvyat has not really shown his true potential so far this year, which is why we are standing him down for the next races.
“The driver switch gives us an opportunity to make a more informed decision regarding our 2018 driver choices.”
Source : Internet