Saturday, 13 August 2016
KUALA LUMPUR: Many gangsters and criminals have fled the country following the launch of Ops Cantas 2 by police.
Federal CID director Comm Datuk Seri Mohmad Salleh said intelligence gathered so far had shown that a number of these criminals fled to Thailand to evade capture.
“We are working with the Royal Thai Police to arrest these individuals. You have to understand some of them were released when the Emergency Ordinance was repealed and went to Thailand to set up illegal businesses there as well,” he told reporters at Bukit Aman yesterday.
He assured the public that police would take all necessary action to nab the individuals.
“We cannot eradicate crime because as long as humans exist, crime will occur, which is also why law enforcement exists,” he said.
Comm Mohmad said police arrested 1,444 people, seized six guns and a host of other weapons like parang and knives in the first six days since Ops Cantas 2 was launched.
“Since the operations was launched on Aug 6, police have checked 33,684 people and 19,558 vehicles nationwide.
“We arrested them for offences related to firearms (four), gangsterism (115), Penal Code offences (179), other offences (149), as well as 995 for documentation and 138 wanted persons.
“We also seized six guns, 20 bullets, 54 vehicles, six swords, 21 knives, 13 parang, two brass knuckles and three flick knives,” he said.
He also said the operations would be ongoing until police were satisfied that violent crimes, gang related offences and shootings have gone down.
“Personnel from the Crime Investigation Department and Special Task Force On Organised Crime, Special Task Force for Anti-Vice, Gaming and Gangsterism and Special Tactics and Intelligence Narcotics Group would be involved in the operations,” he said urging anyone with information to come forward.
Source by: The Star Online