Thursday , 25 February 2021
Home / World / Cyclone Debbie ravaged Australia like ‘a war zone’

Cyclone Debbie ravaged Australia like ‘a war zone’

Wednesday, 29 March 2017

Ayr (Australia) – Towns were cut off and without power in northern Australia Wednesday after being pummelled by a powerful cyclone that washed battered yachts ashore and ripped roofs off houses in scenes compared to “a war zone”.

The category 4 storm slammed into the coast of Queensland state between Bowen and Airlie Beach on Tuesday afternoon, packing destructive winds and devastating some of the region’s tourist hotspots.

It has since been downgraded to a tropical low but the Bureau of Meteorology still warned of damaging wind gusts with “intense” rain.

“This rainfall is likely to lead to major river flooding over a broad area this week,” it said.

Roads to the towns of Bowen, Airlie Beach and Proserpine were inaccessible due to fallen trees, with up to 50,000 homes without power and communications down in many areas. Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said she was worried that people might be injured but had been unable to contact emergency services. So far there have been no reports of deaths from cyclone Debbie. A man was badly injured when a wall collapsed on him Tuesday.

Great Barrier Reef islands popular with foreign tourists were among the worst hit. Daydream Island Resort said it bore the brunt of the storm and sustained significant damage, including to its jetty and accommodation wings.

As day broke, scenes of devastation began to emerge. Pictures posted on social media showed a light plane flipped upside down, battered yachts washed ashore, power poles down and trees fallen on houses. Whitsunday Regional Council mayor Andrew Willcox described the scene in cyclone-ravaged Bowen as “like a war zone”.

In the mining town of Collinsville, roofs were reported ripped off houses from a storm residents called “savage” and emotionally draining, with winds raging for hours. Wind gusts of up to 270 kph (167 miles) were reported near Debbie’s broad core.

Emergency crews began to venture out at first light to better assess the damage, with the federal government having soldiers, helicopters and planes on standby to help clean up. Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said he had “put in place the biggest pre-deployment of the Australian Defence Force in advance of a natural disaster”.

Having lived through cyclones before, many people were prepared and sandbagged and boarded up homes after warnings to prepare for the worst weather to pummel the state since Cyclone Yasi in 2011, which ripped houses from their foundations and devastated crops.

Tens of thousands evacuated to higher ground, cyclones shelters or moved out of the region before it hit. Yasi, which struck less populated areas, caused damage estimated at A$1.4 billion. Debbie has officially been declared a catastrophe by the Insurance Council of Australia, allowing claims from the disaster to be prioritised.

Source by: Internet

Check Also

Thousands evacuated in New Zealand amid Cyclone Debbie floods

Thursday, 6 April 2017 WELLINGTON/SYDNEY – Rescue workers used tractors and boats to evacuate thousands …

Two caddies better than one, believes Adam Scott

Wednesday, 5 April 2017 :Adam Scott arrives at the year’s first major still working under …

Leave a Reply

WooCommerce Themes Free