Saturday , 24 August 2019
Home / Sports / 9TH Asean Para Games KL2017 and Malaysia set to deliver good games

9TH Asean Para Games KL2017 and Malaysia set to deliver good games

Thursday, 7 September 2017 :  The biggest number of sports to be contested, the stage is all set for some 1,500 athletes to produce exciting and inspiring action in the upcoming 9th ASEAN Para Games Kuala Lumpur 2017 from Sept 17 to 23.

The third edition to be hosted by Malaysia since the inaugural Games in 2001, the 9th ASEAN Para Games open two weeks after the conclusion of the successful 29th SEA Games, which saw Malaysia emerging as overall champion.

Now, in 12 days time and with the country still very much in the celebratory mood following the successful SEA Games campaign, close to 1,500 athletes will have their sights firmly on the more than 350 gold medals on offer in the 16 sports, the biggest number of sports in the Games’ 17-year history.

In a press conference on Monday (4 Sept), Games Technical Chairman John Ng said, that following the conclusion of the recent Delegates Registration Meeting (DRM), a total of 1,452 athletes (1,080 men and 372 women), 691 contingent officials and more than 1000 technical officials have been confirmed for the 7-day Games.

A total 368 gold medals will be up for grabs in all the 16 sports contested. Contingents are expected to arrive in Kuala Lumpur for the Games from 12 Sept onwards.

Malaysia form the biggest contingent with 331 athletes and 169 officials and coaches, followed by Thailand (291 athletes), Indonesia 192, Vietnam (150), Myanmar (120), Philippines (115), Singapore (92), Cambodia (70), Laos (50), Brunei (27) and Timor Leste 14 athletes.

A total of 1,113 local and foreign officials will also serve the Games as Technical Delegates, International Technical Officials, National Technical Officials and Classification officials.

The classification process to determine athletes’ impairment and participation will be conducted for three days from 14 Sept.

Of the 368 gold medals, Para athletics are offering the highest number of golds with 133 followed by Para Swimming (84).

Meanwhile, John Ng, who is also the deputy president of the Paralympic Council of Malaysia (MPM) said athletes are all motivated and in high spirits following the successful outing by the Malaysia SEA Games contingent.

“We’ve have been preparing since the last Games in Singapore under the Kita Juara programme,” said John. In 2001, Malaysia emerged overall champions with 135 golds, 79 silvers and 87 bronze medals. In Singapore 2015, Malaysia took the overall third spot with 52 golds, 58 silvers and 37 bronze medals.

The Malaysian contingent have set a target of 103 gold medals in its bid to take the Games overall crown.

Chef de Mission Dato’ Subramaniam Raman believes that the target is achievable, saying that Malaysia’s focus will be on four main sports – athletics, swimming, tenpin bowling and cycling.

“The four sports are expected to deliver 75 percent of our targeted gold medals due to the large number of events. The remaining 25 percent will be from the other 12 sports,” he said.

Twelve other sports in the Games are archery, badminton, boccia, chess, football 5, CP football, goalball , powerlifting, table tennis, sitting volleyball, wheelchair basketball and wheelchair tennis.

Competitions will be held at six venues at Kl Sports City in Bukit Jalil, MITEC, Putrajaya, Sunway Pyramid, Tennis Complex Jalan Duta and the National Velodrome in Nilai.

Source : Internet

Check Also

27

Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Perseketuan – City Life Honeymoon Setting

Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Perseketuan – City Life Honeymoon Setting Spending your honeymoon in Kuala Lumpur …

22

Redang Island, Terengganu – Island and Beach Style Honeymoon

Redang Island, Terengganu – Island and Beach Style Honeymoon A honeymoon on a beach is …

Leave a Reply

WooCommerce Themes Free
X