Monday, 23 January 2017
PENNE, Italy – Italian rescue workers have found the dead body of a man in the wreckage of the hotel in central Italy that was buried in an avalanche last week, the Italian fire service said on Sunday, with 23 people were still missing as the search operation continues.
“At Hotel Rigopiano, at 1645 CET, the fire brigade located the dead body of one of the missing people,” the fire service said in a Tweet.
The death toll stands at 6, with 23 people still missing, Paolo Molinari from the Civil Protection agency said.
9 people, including 4 children, were pulled alive from the piles of rubble and snow on Saturday.
The luxury Hotel Rigopiano, located at the foot of a mountain chain in the central Italian region of Abruzzo, was hit on Wednesday by an avalanche caused by an earthquake.
An earlier statement from the national fire service said the number of people missing had risen to 24 after a rescued person said that a hotel employee, of Senegalese origin, was inside the building at the moment of the avalanche.
“Operations continue, both inside and outside the hotel, there is no change in the numbers (of saved and dead people),” fire brigade spokesman Luca Cari said later.
An official from the national protection agency told that efforts were being made to find alternative routes into the hotel.
Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni said on Sunday his government would work to find ways to give the national bodies involved in emergency and reconstruction operations more power.
“We must be faster, and to do so we have to give more effective powers,” he said in an interview on state television RAI, adding that these operations could not be dragged down by bureaucracy. He said the government had to find a way to fight against delays and corruption.
Source by: Internet